I dedicate this post to my dear Aunt - Shawnie! :) After a fun, busy day I was finishing some errands.... I was checking out at Fresh and Easy where Landon was busily bustling trying to help scan everything. Needless to say, I was a distracted checker-outer. I was trying to hurry because I knew the kids were getting hungry and I needed to get home to make dinner. There was a really nice guy helping bag all the groceries and when he came to put them in the cart Stacie started to scream and cry. Poor guy apologized for scaring her and I reassured him that she was fine... even though she just kept crying and crying. She was looking at me with big sad eyes. I finally got to the car... loaded Landon... went to grab the poor, crying Stacie and realize she was not going to be coming out of that cart any time soon! Her foot was not in the right foot hole... it was in a hole that was certainly never meant to have ANY body part other than a finger go through it! Poor little girl was as stuck as could be!
I start to yell for Landon to get out of the car so we can go back into the store for help... but he had chosen that moment to not listen to me. Adrenaline kicks in and I flag down some guy that was in his car ready to drive away from the store. I probably looked like a psychopath yelling to him in his car (he later told me he thought I was cussing him out - poor guy!) Finally he got the idea that I needed help and got out of his car. He ran over and then became the hero - He very loudly informed me to stay calm, keep Stacie calm and call 911. He was clearly panicked and pretty much frantic - he kept kissing Stacie's forehead and briskly rubbing her back. Funny thing is though... I did just what he said. I grabbed Landon's hand so I didn't loose him and called 911. That was when my mind turned to blubber - I'd say Jello but my mind was definitely too murky to be Jello. The man was yelling at me to "Keep her calm!" even though he is the one right there with her... I have to keep walking further away from him so the dispatcher can hear what I'm saying... By the way I didn't even know what I was saying!! I do remember saying "My baby's cart is stuck in her feet!!" Real nice Heather... way to keep it together.... geez! Finally the woman I was talking to got the general idea of what was going on and informed me that help was on the way! By that time a woman has appeared and was soothing Stacie. She let her look at her I-phone... which made Stacie calm down because she loves phones, silly girl! I wish I would have got that wonderful woman's name and number so I could thank her... somehow she seemed to calm down the man/hero too - although he was hard at work with some giant screwdriver he must have gone to get from his car at some point... Moments later a firetruck - from the fire station that was just across the street - pulls up and Landon is ecstatic. Three firemen get out to assess the damage and make a plan... Now the grocery cart is surrounded by 3 big firemen, one stressed out Hero, one sweet woman and her daughter... and there I am watching all this from the sideline holding tight to Landon's hand. It is decided that they will need to cut the bars of the cart so they bring out ginormous cutters with the longest handles! Soon my baby was back in my arms and Landon was striking up a conversation with the firemen. Those wonderful guys loaded the groceries into my car and then one gave Landon a plastic fire helmet and took a picture with him (because of course I had my camera). Eventually, everyone has cleared except my loyal hero. He kissed Stacie on the head once more and assured me he would have done the same for ANY child and if those firemen didn't get her out then he would have. :) I love him for his passion! I would love to run into him again so that I could thank him again for his determination! Anyway... there is my story. :) It was an interesting "mother moment" and helped me see the good in so many people! :)
Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm not sure I would have known what to do. I probably would have called my mom in tears. Glad to hear it all worked out though.
ReplyDeleteAnd I don't feel like scrolling down to comment on each post, but cute pics of the park and the beach. I can't believe how big Stacie is now!
WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS UNTIL NOW! Holy cow Heather! You are a trooper for going through that. I am so glad everything was okay...sheesh my heart almost stopped.
ReplyDelete